Hello!

This blog was mostly created for those who have just begun couponing. See links to all of my posts to the right of my blog. I recommend starting with the first post and moving down from there, because if you're really new to couponing, then some of the later posts might be confusing. Also, I live in Washington, so some things that may be true for me might be different where you are. Happy couponing!!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

So How Do You Know It's A Great Deal?

Before I began couponing we usually bought things only when we ran out. Sometimes by chance I'd find a sale and buy an extra, but usually we'd run out of something and my heart would sink cause I'd have to take another $5 or whatever out of our weekly budget so I could buy more Toilet paper and shampoo. I especially hated it when we'd run out of several items in one week. I was spending $400-$500 a month on groceries ($100-$125 a week) and I really felt like I needed to take a class or something, cause I was not feeling like a thrifty shopper, and I felt like I could spend more if I didn't limit myself to a maximum $125. I must have been buying pretty much everything when it wasn't on sale...

I didn't really know what the regular prices were to begin with. I knew that I didn't want to pay more than $3 for shampoo or more than $5 for toilet paper, but other than that, I pretty much didn't pay attention to the price of things I bought. Isn't that awful??

So how do you know that it's a good deal or not? I didn't always know for sure. After you've been couponing for a while you'll begin to notice what kinds of deals you can get for certain items. For example, since I've begun couponing, I haven't ever had to pay more than a quarter for toothpaste. I actually usually get toothpaste for free with a coupon and sale. Generally, if you see that you can get an item for 70% or more off the original price with a coupon and/or sale, then it's a good idea to get several of those items.

Stores typically have a cycle of sales. About every few months they will have a similar sale on an item. For example, every three months Albertsons may have a good dove deoderant sale. If you have enough coupons, and the store is well enough in stock, then you hopefully can buy enough to last you through the next sale. 

When you need an item and you can't find it for a good deal (with or without a coupon), then only buy one  until you can stock up on more during a sale.

Use your math skills! Before I began couponing I thought that buying in bigger quantities was the way to save, but often you save more if you use your coupon on the smallest size that the coupon will allow.

I talk about following blogs in another post. Many blogs often post deals and highlight which deals are better than others. At first I mostly found out about good deals from these bloggers and then later I learned how to find deals myself. 

No comments: