Hello!

This blog was mostly created for those who have just begun couponing. See links to all of my posts to the right of my blog. I recommend starting with the first post and moving down from there, because if you're really new to couponing, then some of the later posts might be confusing. Also, I live in Washington, so some things that may be true for me might be different where you are. Happy couponing!!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

What Coupons Do I Toss?

When I first started couponing I threw out a lot of the coupons cause I thought the item would be too expensive even with the coupon, or I thought the coupon was low value, or whatever. Then I started learning about the sales and couldn't believe that I had thrown the coupons away!!

Here are some examples:

A few weeks ago a local store had a sort of doubling coupon deal for a couple of days. Any coupon for less than a dollar was adjusted up to a dollar. So, even coupons that were for $0.25 were adjusted up to a dollar. This made for some free items!!!

Another time there was a coupon for $1 off any Dentex floss valued at $2 or more. I thought, "I only buy floss if I can get it for free, or at least less than $0.50." I almost tossed it out but decided not to just in case. Soon after, Walgreens had a sale on Dentek floss for $2, and you'd get back a $2 coupon (Register Reward [RR] to use on anything in the store). So, I bought a Dentek floss, used a $1 coupon, payed $1 plus tax, and received a $2 RR. Pretty cool! 

You never know when a coupon will make a great deal! Some coupons that I've come really close to tossing scored me a great deal! (I've gotten many items for free with coupons I had almost tossed!)

So, when you're deciding what coupons to keep and what coupons to toss you gotta ask yourself, "If I could get this product for free would I still want it?" Most of the time the answer is yes. (That doesn't necessarily mean that you will get it for free, but it's a possibility.) However, even if you don't want whatever the coupon is for, there may be a good sale, and you may be able to get overage with the coupon (see my coupon lingo post). You can then donate the item to someone who needs it.

No comments: